Saturday 30 September 2023

Try, Try Again

After the mess I made of the last session I decided I'd have another go to see if I could do any better. I have to admit I'm never sure this is a good idea but Friday was a full moon which is supposed to be an optimum time to fish. Also I decide to try fishing a slider in the deeper swim as it would be easier to cast from under the trees. I did come across a victim of Agnes as I arrived at the ponds. 

The setups were a 1.5g waggler for the inside swim and a 4g slider for the deeper swim. A dozen balls of groundbait laced with dead reds were launched into the deep water with remarkable accuracy this time. I left this swim alone and fished the nearside to start with, feeding hemp and maggots. After half an how with out so much as a chewed maggot I tried the deep swim. This failed to produce anything either. Back on the inside I sated to get bites on the drop that I couldn't hit. After a bit of fiddling with the shot I was soon into a slow but steady flow of lovely bronze rudd. This continued until just after midday. At this point the predators turned up and fish were scattering everywhere. The attackers were small jacks, at least four of them, all around the 1-2lb mark. This seemed like a good time for lunch as no more bites were forth coming.

While I eat my lunch I had the slider rig out in the deep swim. After lunch I tried the inside line again but bites were hard to come by and the pike were still making a nuisance of themselves. I decided to stick it out over the deep swim  to see if any of the ponds bream would turn up, but all I got was the occasional small roach. A reverse of the previous session where the rudd came from the deep swim and the roach and occasional perch from the shallower swim. This time though there were no perch at all. The bream had failed to show by the time it came to packing up and the majority of fish I'd caught were in hour between eleven and twelve. A quick weigh showed there to be 5lb 1oz of shiny rudd and roach. I was quite amazed as I though there was less than three pound in the net.


If I was practising for a match I don't think I'd have learnt very much from these two sessions unless it was a pike match. In this case it seems the smaller pike feed between twelve and two. I bet they don't when I go down there pike fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment