Wednesday 6 September 2023

The Wrong Pellets

 With a couple of hours, or so, to spare I grabbed a couple of rods and a bait bucket and headed down to the local gravel pit for a dangle in the cool of the morning. I opted for the corner swim. Mainly because I could park right up to it and fish out of the back of the car. Another angler was in the next swim along and taking the odd skimmer. I opened up the bait bucket to toss a few Source pellets next to the lily bed. Unfortunately I'd picked up the bucket with Halibut pellets and the like in. I've never done well with halibut down here, but I was stuck with them so out they went. A light waggler rig was set up and a 6mm soft hooker went on for bait. Much to my surprise I had a good lift bite after a couple of minutes and a nice little skimmer was flapping about in the end.

There then followed about twenty minutes of the float bobbing about but no contact. No amount of adjusting the depth or shotting made things any better. Things then sort of settled for a while and half a dozen little skimmers were contacted with and landed. As the sun burnt through the clouds the bites started too tail off. The bites were also back to the bobbing about type which never really results in anything. The other angler had taken to hurling a feeder out to a far weed bed for the odd larger skimmer. I had a feeder rod with me but didn't really see any point in setting up as I had very little time left.

Two and a half hours for seven skimmers isn't really brilliant but a combination of bright sunshine killing it and a bait that doesn't really work it wasn't a bad result.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to try anyway - check ones bucket next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once they've got the taste for Source..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Which is why there's so little in my local tackle shop apparently it disappears the moment it arrives.

      Delete