Sunday 1 September 2024

Spiders On The Moors

 As I was up the top of The Moors this morning with a couple of hours to spare, and the rain hadn't arrived, I thought I'd have a chuck about with the fly rod. It was very dull day and looked like it could rain any moment. The river was the lowest I'd seen it this year, but carrying it's usual peat stain.


For the first half hour or so I tried a variety of dry flies. Apart from one rise to a Griffith's Gnat there was no interest at all. I then opted for a couple of spider patterns instead. A Williams favourite on point and a Black Magic on the dropper. Can't go wrong with a little something in black.

 

This combination worked straight away. The first cast into a swirly riffle and one of the small residents grabbed hold of the Black Magic.. A couple more little 'uns from the same riffle. These would be this years youngsters. In the slacker smoother water above the riffle I hooked one of last years fish, but it came adrift. I continued on fish the riffles as I moved upstream over the next hour or so. Eventually amassing eleven of the little 'uns with both flies taking their share. They were all between four and five inches. Swinging the flies down and across in one of the wider sections I hooked another of last years. Around the nine ten inch mark this, like the previous big 'un came adrift. The drizzle that had started was now coming down heavier so I made my way back to the car as it got heavier and heavier.

 Not a bad couple of hours considering the conditions. A little bit more water wouldn't go amiss, but not too much, as previous times I've been in the area it's been way too high. This may please the Salmon and Sea trout anglers but it doesn't make for good trout fish.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work - How do you get the pictures to move through in the blog? Looks really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. After using various things I've settled on making GIFs or MP4 files using a combination of ImageMagick and ffmpeg in Linux. The other methods tended to produce rather large files.

      Delete
    2. ah ok. Will give it a try.

      Delete