Saturday 28 September 2024

Two Days To Go

 Two days to go until the end of the trout season and Monday looking pretty dire weather wise I headed out to the beck. Not too early as we'd had our first frost of Autumn. The beck was a couple of inches up and carrying a peaty tinge. It doesn't take much to alter the behaviour of a small beck like this. Some of the slacks were now more like whirl pools and various bits of debris had been washed down. I did pick up quite a few twigs while fishing. With little or no insects about I intended to fish Little Bugger Jig flies. If that didn't work a Gold Head PTN was my next option.


I spent some time drifting a white Little Bugger about in some deeper holes with out success. A change to a heavier Olive version produced a couple of tentative tugs in one swim but that was all. I then tried a Gold head PTN but this was really too light for a lot of the holes failing to get down before reaching the end. I made my was back to the car for a cuppa and a rethink.


The beck was getting a bit clearer and dropping slightly by the time I'd finished my cuppa. I opted for the Olive Little Bugger again. The second swim I tried that produced the tentative tugs first time round produced a solid take. After a bit of thrashing about a nice 11½" Brown trout. Scale samples were removed in the prescribed manner and placed in the envelope. The little beastie rested in the net before being released. Plenty of time for a couple more I thought. Unfortunately as I headed to the next hole I wrong footed myself stabbing the bank with the tip of the rod. I now had a five piece rod instead of four piece.


Most of the time I have three or four rods in the car, but Sod's Law I only had the one, so that was that. Oh well. Still two days to go, but Monday looks dire so maybe just the one.



No comments:

Post a Comment