Sunday 15 October 2017

Walk Trolling

Another quick Session on the navigation this time pike were the target. Now I must admit I've only had the one pike here and really haven't seen much pike activity at all. My intention was to chuck lure from the permanent pegs using the normal five cast fan system. nine o'clock, twelve o'clock, three o'clock and a couple somewhere in between. A variety of lures were used to cover top to bottom.


 After an hour and a bit with nothing to show and not much time left I decided to head back to the car. So as to maximise fishing time I decided to try a bit of walk trolling as headed back. This was I tactic I'd used quite a lot on featureless stretches for years and was christened thus by a late friend many years ago. I've seen it used loads of times to great effect.


Basically, in case you haven't guessed, it simply involves trolling a lure close to the bank as you wander along.I chose a garish spinner bait as I'd found theses seemed to work rather well at walking pace. It wasn't long before I was into a very acrobatic four pounder, it lept out of the net a couple of times before been brought under control. Next up was a fish of 8lb 10oz, which fought well above it's weight both in the water and on the bank. the last fish to show up was a half decent perch, demonstrating once again what greedy little buggers they are.


All these fish came from water I'd fish earlier, so what was the difference this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment