Friday 15 June 2018

A Bit Of A Reversal

The river was slightly more coloured than last week when I arrived and there was the usual shortage of insect life. The cool breeze probably didn't help, making it an awkward day clothing wise as well. Not quite warm enough for a T-shirt, too warm for a light fleece.

After a little while wandering upstream looking for anything rising I came a cross a few uprights fluttering about and the odd rise. After several missed takes from some small trout I managed to hook one. As I brought close to the bank a pike shot up from the depths and grabbed it. After a couple of minutes I managed to grab hold of it. The CDC dun was not longer recognisable. An interesting start to sy the east and only the second or third pike I've seen here in the last couple of years.


It was a couple of hours later before I came across any more rising fish. A few speculative casts had produced nothing. It took a couple of casts to land the fly in the area the fish were rising, but the fly was taken almost immediately. Nice fish of 14", again taken on a size 14 CDC dun. A little while later I found another rising fish, right at the top end of the section. Casting to it was problematic as it was very close to the bank. With most of the line landing on the bank I managed a fly right over the top of it which was taken after a short drift. A slightly smaller fish, but a lot more acrobatic.










I headed back down stream looking for any rising fish. Nowt more was seen. Half way back I got covered in dust from the farmer turning the hay which didn't do my hay fever any good. Fly casting and sneezing aren't the best combination. Still, not a bad day at all. Tomorrow is the start of the maggot drowning season, unfortunately I won't be able to fish again 'till nest week.








No comments:

Post a Comment