Thursday 7 June 2018

Trout Two - Me Nil

Had a short evening session on the Rye in the hope of doubling my tally of dry fly caught trout from this bit of the river.  I'd remembered my polariods this time. It was surprisingly clear considering it had risen a foot on Saturday and steadily dropped since then. There quite a bit of fly life about on places, but precious little rising save the odd very small dace.


It wasn't long before I found a trout rising, a size 16 CDC dun seemed to be about right and after a couple of casts I was in to a fish of about 10-12", only for it to come adrift mid stream. Bugger! A bit further along a fish of similar size was feeding, but a right cock up of cast spooked it as the line came down like a ton of bricks. The rest of the section proved pretty fruitless, with very little insect life about.










I moved to the upper section and again found a rising fish pretty quickly, unfortunately it was rising between the old bank-side piles and the now eroded bank. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained. I was in first cast and for a minute or so the trout, a reasonable sized one at that kept away from the piles. It then made for a branch that was trapped by the piles and every thing came to a sudden halt. the tippet had got into a slit in the end if the branch and stopped at the knot between tippet and leader, snapping the tippet close to the knot. Bugger, bugger!


 







I fished on for another hour with out success. I know spinning or worms would catch me a lot more, but I'm determined to catch a couple more on dry fly from this section.





No comments:

Post a Comment