Saturday 3 October 2020

Fishing Through Three Sunsets And A Moonrise

Friday morning I kept looking at the weather forecast. With Storm Alex on it's way I was umming and ahing about going fishing, especially as the rain predicted for Saturday was now creeping into Friday. I'm not to fond of packing up in the dark and a loathe packing up in the rain, so the combination of the two was really putting me off. The other problem was the choice of venues. Having caught a Derwent barbel the previous day I was considering a trip to the Ure as I'd not fished there this season. The problem with the Ure was the long trek. If it did start seriously pissing it down it was a long work back to the car. On the Derwent though I could fish in sight of the car, so the Derwent it was. I know I've got perfectly good waterproofs etc. but cold and wet in the dark is no longer my idea of fun.


 My first choice of swim was thwarted by another angler. Although I was on the opposite bank and a fair way downstream it just felt too close given there was only the two of use on this stretch. I dropped into the next swim down. It was the usual pellet and feeder tactics that were to be deployed. After an hour or so, though, something didn't feel right. I don't no what it is, but some swims just don't inspire confidence.  Luckily the angler on the opposite bank started to pack up as I contemplated a move. With him gone I moved upstream. Although it was a tight little peg I felt a lot more comfortable here, even when it started to rain. Not that it rained for long, it had stopped by the time I got the brolly up.

A natter with a lure angler about the lack of action and the river seemingly switching off didn't dent my confidence. I sat through the Official Sunset, Civil Sunset, the Moonrise full of confidence. By the time of the Nautical Sunset my confidence was stating to wane slightly. I'd also used my last tea bag. Looking at the rain radar on the phone showed it to be not far away. Although it was far from cold it was exceedingly dark. The cloudy sky blocking out the moon and stars. With the possibility of heavy rain I decided to start packing up. I moved the chair and bag to the top of the bank, leaving just the rods and landing net in the swim. Having wound the upstream rod in the baitrunner on the downstream rod started to click very slowly. I suspect weed or a branch had snagged the line. Winding in confirmed this, something heavy and lifeless.

 

It remained heavy and lifeless until it got under the rod tip. Strangely it continued past me and upstream. For the next couple of minutes whatever it was circled round under the rod tip in nine foot of water not leaving the bottom. Eventually I got it to the surface, but still could see what it was in the dark. I went to switch the headlamp in, but it wasn't there, must be at the top of the bank I thought. The problem now was I really could see much and having to reach over the bankside vegetation with the landing net made matters worse. I could tell were the fish was by the splashing, but could tell when it was over the landing net. After a couple of failed attempts I got my phone out and got the torch switched on, but had no idea how I was going to hold a rod, landing net and phone with only two hands. A bit of inspiration had me drop the phone on the top pocket of my waist coat where the was just above the top of the pocket. After a bit more fumbling the fish was in the net. A nice looking barbel which kindly spat the hook out making life easier.

 

8lb 15oz with the tail of a much larger fish. Having taken a photo, which thanks to the fish been quite placid despite it having been rested in the net for a while, went  very easily. Having got packed up. I had one more swing round with the phone torch to see if I'd missed anything. and there was the headtorch. Halfway down the bank in a cowpat. Quite how it had got here I don't know, but it was quickly retrieved and put in a plastic bag.







1 comment: