Thursday 8 October 2020

Two Missions Accomplished

Despite the fact I'm on holiday I had previous engagements that prevented me from fishing for barbel at what appeared to be optimum times following the recent heavy rain. Even at the higher levels earlier in the week I would not have chosen The Ure to fish as I have very little knowledge of floodwater fishing on this river. Today, Wednesday, it was back near it's normal levels, so having not caught a barbel from here this season that's where I headed. I went straight to one of the swims I caught from last year. Block end feeder half  full of pellets, to allow for expansion and  double 12mm on the upstream rod over to the far bank near the tree roots and single banded 8mm pellet on the other downstream in the middle. Last year the barbel had all come from the far bank and chub from the middle of the river.

The rot tip rattled about occasionally on the downstream rod and every now and then got dragged over by debris drifting down the river. After  an hour or so the tip went over and the baitrunner started to click. Lifting in to what I hoped was a fish the clutch started to give line and as the fish set off downstream. I really must remember to check the clutch when I set up as it was clearly set rather light. Tightening it I started to pump the fish back upstream, it felt heavy, hugging the bottom. It didn't take too long to get it near me, but in classic barbel style it set of on several runs as I tried to get it to the surface. Eventually I got it up and in the net. Clearly a big fish, not that that mattered at his point as I was just after a barbel to complete the five rivers. Mission accomplished, a barbel from the Derwent, Ouse, Swale, Ure, and Wharfe this season. I also suspected it may accomplish another, long standing ambition, a double from each of the rivers. Lifting the fish in the weigh sling it nudge the scales round to just above 9lb. It looked bigger than that. Looking down I realised the fish was not fully off the mat as I was stood somewhat lower on the sloping bank. A bit higher lift and the scales went round to 10lb 14oz. With that I could have packed up then, but having paid for my ticket I was staying until dark, whether I caught another fish or not.


As i released the barbel after a bit of a rest several small fish scattered just downstream of the spot where the feeder was. While I was faffing about making a celebratory cuppa the tip started to bounce about as if a small fish was on. By the time I got hold of the rod it had turned into a barbel tip run. Lifting into it nothing. Retrieving the feeder the hook was missing and the bottom coup[le of inches was chaffed. I'd replaced the hook length after the previous fish and it seemed fine then. I suspect something small had hooked itself then been taken by a pike. More pike activity occurred a little bit later when one took a lunge at the feeder when I retrieved it to clear debris off the line. Just after Civil Sunset the tip on the far bank rod rattled for the first time and a chub of around a pound and half was quickly on the bank.

 

Having released the chub a gentleman reminded me that no night-fishing is allowed. The ticket actually says "No night fishing after dark" . Despite it been a cloudy night I could still see the far bank so to me it's not dark, but I took the hint. After all I'd accomplished two missions, so didn't really need to stay.




I tried for several years to get a double figure barbel from The Ure. Suffering many blanks before been distracted by other targets. It's therefore nice to finally manage it. Normally I would be pike fishing by now, but with the rivers still up and coloured and two days left of my holidays I think another couple of barbel trips are in order. I also need to work ourt how to use the camera on my new phone as the quality of the pictures seems a bit variable at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. They're on to your three sunsets civil disobedience.....

    ReplyDelete