Sunday 9 April 2023

A Quickie On The Cut Ⅰ

 As it was a dull overcast morning I thought I'd have a quick go down the cut before the boat traffic started up. As the little orange paddle tail from the last session was still on I started with that. After fifteen minutes or so working my way round the feature I had the gentlest of plucks. I struck but appeared to miss it then the rod tip whacked over. After a brief but hectic fight a rather nice perch was in the net It had been accompanied by a couple of other perch of similar size so I unhooked the fish and left it in the net while I had a cast about for one of the others. I managed to cast right on top of a snag. Despite various attempts to dislodge the lure I eventually had to pull for a break. While I re-rigged a convoy of boats passed by colouring the canal and dislodging  various bits of vegetation. Some quite large. I measured and weighed the perch As I didn't think the others would still be about. At 36cm and 2lb it was a rather nice dark fish.


I tried a couple more spots before returning to the first feature which was now clear of debris. Third or fourth cast over to the far bank saw a little jack shoot out and hit the lure. As it turned back towards the vegetation the flouro leader was severed. As more boats were heading towards me I took this as a hint and headed home to partake in some horticultural duties. Not sure why the boaters and bargees where out before breakfast, but with out them I'm sure a lot of canals would have been filled in.

2 comments:

  1. Cracking perch. A 2lb'er is still on my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tees has produced plenty in the past, don't know what it';s like now for perch.

      Delete