Saturday 1 April 2023

Opening Day Of The Trout Season II : The Flood

 The date(s) for the opening of the trout season vary from river to river. As the river at the top of the county opened on the 1st April I could have a second go at the 'First Day of the Trout Season'. I'd already arranged to transport the old folk to a birthday do  up there, so regardless I was going. Unfortunately it rained quite considerably and the river was rising when I looked at the gauge. Although it doesn't look much the gauge doesn't tell the whole truth. Feeder streams alter the state of the river downstream quite a bit.


 The river was carrying an awful lot of colour and even the local worm anglers said it was a lost cause, even with out the constant drizzle making life uncomfortable. A standing wave over a ford really isn't a good sign. Although the river was starting to drop the colour wasn't dropping out.

I had a wander along a couple of sections to see what the winter floods had done to river, but this wasn't much fun with the drizzle. I did reacquaint my self with some of the 'free' sections. Well known to those that know and badly described by them as if they want to be helpful and annoying at the same time.


I did get a nice cup of tea and a slice of cream cake when I went to pick up the elders, which brightened the day up a bit. My trout season isn't getting of to a great start, but I'm sure the struggles will be all worth it in the end.

2 comments:

  1. Some lovely bridge pics! Would love to walk over some of them one day, looks idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three single span bridges like that over the Esk. They are all old rebuilds of Medieval bridges. The one pictured was rebuilt over 400 years ago. I'm stood on a road bridge to take a picture of it and it blocks out a railway bridge behind it.

      Delete