Sunday 16 April 2023

On The Navigation Ⅳ : There Goes The Rod Tip

Tried a different section of the navigation to the last three sessions in the hope of a bit more action. Unfortunately it was a lot sunnier, but at least the strong winds had gone. There was also a lot of moored boats to fish between. I spent the first hour and a half dropping 3-4" shads between the boats, around the lock gates, and anywhere else for that matter with out a sign of any fish.

 

After a cuppa I tried the same thing with the lighter outfit and the small blue/silver paddle-tail I'd used on the previous session. I got nothing nothing around the moored boats or running it along the edge. First cast below the lock I hooked either a world record perch, or a decent jack. After a prolonged fight, partially caused by me having to get down to a lower bank so the landing net would reach, a plump little jack was just about in the net. A very tidy fish at just over 60cm and four and a half pounds.


I worked my way along towards the trees with nothing to show until I found a dead tree in the water. Dropping the bait close to the tree produce half a dozen small perch in as many casts before things went quiet. Back at the lock I had a few more small perch before a couple of boats came through. A few more came out of the lock itself after it had filled back up.


After another cuppa I had another go with the heavier set up, again to no avail. Sadly I managed to brake the tip of the rod when I tapped a bankside sign with it. I wasn't looking where I was going mind you as a heron had landed on the far side of the lock despite the joggers, cyclists, and dogs. I'm not sure how it intended to fish the lock. I just think it was hoping as the nearby river was in flood still.


 

Not sure how many small perch I had in the end but it was fun and pleasant weather as well. The rod is going to be about a inch or so shorter when I put a new tip ring on it, so shouldn't be too detrimental.

2 comments:

  1. Apart from the rod injury, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I should avoid that water given a lost landing net handle, a lost landing net and cap, and now a broken rod. The fishing was fun, though, when I found the little beasties.

      Delete