Sunday 2 April 2023

On The Navigation Ⅰ

 Things didn't get off to a great start when I dropped my landing net handle and it bounced into then lock. It bobbed about for a few seconds, three and a half foot below me before sinking in a cloud of bubbles. The absence of anglers was surprise, but eventually they started to arrive. The pound below the lock was a good foot lower than usual as well.

I started with a 10cm roach jig in the lock and had the odd tail nip and rattle before trying a pink bug on the drop shot. Second twitch along the wall produced a decent take and what turned out to be the largest perch of the day. After that it went back to tails nips again. Talking to others they were having the same problems. after a cuppa I put on a 3cm chartreuse pin tail, my last one. Moving round the lock complex I eventually managed six more perch and lots and lots of tail nips and rattles.

Four hours for seven wasps is not great going but everybody else was struggling as well. A match was on opposite the boats so that area was off limits and the area below the lock didn't produce  either. I was told by two people that a seventeen pound pike had been caught in the lock yesterday so there is still the odd good fish around.

5 comments:

  1. Bad luck with the landing net handle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoyingly it's one of those non-standard hexagonal ones.

      Delete
  2. Looks good, I think I recognise it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It features on a lot of videos.

      Delete
    2. Yes, know it well. Used to fish there with my mate Giles. I caught a pike in the lock and he had to go down the ladder to net it! still makes me laugh

      Delete