Wednesday 27 December 2023

Boxing Day Piking

 I thought it best to get out fishing before storm Gerrit (pronounce herrit apparently) hit, so I was up bright and early on Boxing day. Not too early mind you, but it was a bright morning. Arriving at the clay pit I was surprised to find a couple of carperists there all ready. In fact they'd been there  since Christmas Day hoping to final get a Christmas Day carp. Which they nearly managed only it fell off at the net. I set myself up opposite them in a swim with plenty of features.


A small roach was placed near the overhanging trees in about three foot of water and a lamprey was tossed out to the bottom of the ledge in ten and a half foot of water. Sunglasses on, as I was facing into the sun, I sat back and waited. I moved the baits every forty minutes or so. Just after lunch a couple of carp swim along under the overhanging trees before disappearing near my float. Not long after it stated to bob about at first I suspect the carp were causing it, but it slowly started to move away from me. I lifted in to it and there was clearly a fish on the end though it didn't put up much of a struggle until it was under the rod tip where it decide to thrash around for a bit. A tidy but chubby little beast of 5lb 15oz and 75cm.

The rest of the afternoon was rather quiet. The sun disappeared behind the clouds and the temp stated to drop. Around four I started to pack up. I only had the unhooking stuff and rods to put away. The float above the lamprey fell over then shot away. I didn't even strike as the rod lurched over into what felt like a good fish. After a brief bit of all over the place the pike gave up and came in quietly. As I chinned it, the landing net was snagged on something, the hook fell out. A specimen with a damaged jaw. The damage was from some time ago as the wound had repaired. 85cm long and 9lb 1oz in weight it appeared to be in good health. By now the floats would be hard to see so I finished packing up.

A pleasant day and couple couple of fish. Just the thing after the Christmas day excesses.



No comments:

Post a Comment