Friday 15 December 2023

Even More Estate Lake Piking

After a change of plan, then another change of plan I arrived at the estate on Thursday a little later than intended. Although I initially didn't intend to fish the estate lake. Surprisingly, given the state of the rivers, there was nobody else there in the car park. I opted for a swim that allowed for several different features to be fished including the end of the island. usual sort of float set up was used with a small roach being dropped to my right at the bottom of the nearside slope. A lamprey, finally managed to get some, being tossed out to the over hanging tree in front. Actually it took several casts to get it where I wanted it with out snagging it in the tree.


An hour or so later the float by the tree started to wobble about a little bit. I wasn't sure if it was the breeze, that had got up a little bit, or maybe bait fish in the area.  Eventually it slowly moved away and I was in contact with something not very big.  A jack of 73cm was soon in the net and unhooked. I even got my piece of lamprey back.

 

The rest of the day remained relatively quiet apart from the canada geese. I moved the baits about to various spots at regular intervals. Around three, no doubt prompted by my cup of tea, the roach moved off at a rapid pace and I was connected with something that felt a decent size. The fish swung in to the bank to my right and ended up among the twigs and debris in the shallow water. As seems to be a common problem lately it managed to impale a twig on the hook and come free, but leave me with the twig. 

I stayed until I could no longer see the floats. It had been a remarkably quiet day in a swim that normally produces more. The loss of the larger fish was annoying but just one of those things.

 

Hopefully the rivers will have dropped to a reasonable level soon and I can have a go on them.

2 comments:

  1. I get that problem. Often my Pike shoot straight towards me and go under the bank leaving me with a big pile of weed and other assorted slop to pull in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one of those things. With out the weed, twigs, etc. there'd be nowhere for the prey fish and small pike to hide.

      Delete