Saturday 30 December 2023

Gravel Pit Piking - Again

 With the local rivers up at silly heights it was stillwaters that looked the only option on Friday. I trundled across the county to a gravel pit I'd fished only once before. That session had resulted in one rather tatty pale little beastie so I hoped to do better. I was the only one there when I arrived. When I looked at the water I wondered why I'd trailed all this way as the water was very coloured.  After a wander round  I started in a swim with my back to the wind. I could fish to one of the island, not that this had done me much good last time. There was also two over hanging trees either side of me that looked pikey.


A small roach was dropped under the tree to my left and a headless herring tossed over to the corner of the island. One cup of tea later and the float under the tree trundle away. A rather lethargic pike of 89cm 8lb 1oz was quickly netted. Long and pale it really should have weighed more but was rather hollow. Still it was quite a bit bigger than the previous little jack. I dropped another small roach under the tree to the right.

Another angler turned up at lunch time for a spot of silvers fishing. he managed three tiddlers by darkness. After lunch I moved to a corner swim. A small roach dropped by a dying lily bed and a lamprey tossed out to the corner of another island. Despite moving the baits about nothing more showed.

No comments:

Post a Comment