Saturday 9 December 2023

Pike Fishing A New Venue

 Friday I went to a brand new venue. I'd passed the place several times over the years but never taken an awful lot of notice of it. Earlier in the week I was in the area and stopped at what I thought was the entrance, but wasn't. All I could see was a frozen pond. Getting there on Friday after Thursday's downpours could have turned problematic as the road was flooded. A change to wellies and a quick paddle showed it wasn't too deep and therefore passable which would save a long detour. I was surprised to find another angler had arrived just before me and was setting up. He was after bream, or whatever. He'd manage to forget his landing net handle so I lent him a storm pole. He also reckoned it was the highest he'd seen the water level. In fact a couple of swims were flooded.

I had a wander round and picked a swim at the end which allowed me access to an island in front. A bay top my right and a nice looking margin to my left. A small roach was dropped in front of some tree roots to my right and a sardine to the right of the island on a corner in five foot of water. I moved the baits about every hour or so. Injecting the sardine with some oil after it had defrosted. It was nearly midday when I got the first run. The small roach had been taken by a very apathetic little jack. A rather pale and tatty little thing of 63cm.


The other chap left around two having only had a single bite. Not long after I had another run on the roach which was now back in front of the tree roots. I wasn't quick enough with the strike and the fish had got into the roots and transferred the hook to a root. A good heave bent the hook out. I fished on until dark for nowt else. The island in front looked ideal for pike. Overhanging trees on the left and vegetation on the right looking like great ambush points. I'll be back though.

No comments:

Post a Comment