Thursday 18 July 2024

RFM And Trout Fishing

 The started with a spot of River Fly Monitoring. No real surprises. Numbers slightly down below the CSO which isn't surprising given the recent rain had it running. Having completed that I headed down to near the bottom of the stretch for a spot of fluff chucking. The beck looks like it should hold good numbers of trout as is does above the village. The bankside vegetation is now very lush and makes some parts a bit claustrophobic. The level was up just a couple of inches or so.  I only managed to raise one fish which I missed. I did spook several more hiding under overhanging branches that were trailing in the water. I had run flies as close to them as I could but I don't think they were really looking up. I did see a shoal of small silver fish on my walk down. Probably dace, maybe. So here are a few pics of the beck.


After a cuppa I tried to fish another short length, but a couple of mallard kept spooking the fish. The ducks would fly a little way upstream then drift back until they saw me. They'd then take of again and land a bit further up and drift back towards me. In doing this they did spook a few of the small escapee rainbows.

2 comments:

  1. Our local non tidals seem to run brown all the time these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rivers up here are holding colour for a lot longer than usual.

      Delete