Friday 12 July 2024

Snotty Baggin'

 With Wednesday morning's activities cancelled due to the previous days precipitation I decided to nip up to a local pond, with the half pint of maggots I'd got left, for a couple of hours. I set up a simple paternoster feeder rig. With a couple of maggots on the hook. First cast resulted in a bite before I'd properly tightened up. A little roach.

Next cast the same thing, but the little roach dropped of into the margin as i swung it in. A little jack then shot up of the drop off and nearly beached it's self trying to grab it. Things then went quiet for a while. I then got a rattling bite that I missed. As one leg of the chair had sunk slightly I dropped the remains of the maggots in the margin while I sorted myself out. When I lifted the feeder back out there was a little perch attached to the hook. I dropped the fresh maggots back in the margin and soon got another one. Again the little jack made a charge for it bit missed out as I'd lifted it well above the water. I went back out to the swim I'd caught the roach from to find the little skimmers had moved in. 


A few more quickly followed before one came in at great speed followed by a bow wave. Again the little jack missed out on a meal and nearly beached itself. The skimmers seemed to have disappeared as I got no more bites. Soon after a short sharp downpour swept over. While I didn't get wet while it rained due to the trees. I had to suffer the occasional shower every time there was was a gust of wind. By the time it got to be time for me to be elsewhere I'd had no more bites. As I stated packing up the tip pulled round and another little skimmer turned up.

If it hadn't been for the hungry little jack(s) I think it would have been a better haul for the couple of hours I was there. A nice way to waste a couple of hours though.




2 comments:

  1. Definitely not time wasted! Great session

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best way of phrasing it I suppose.

      Delete