Tuesday 16 July 2024

Whiskered Fish

The river was a few inches higher today than Monday, but a lot more coloured and tanking through at a fair rate of knots. Sat Higher up the bank than last time I dropped the feeder in close to the bank. The tip soon rattled and a little gudgeon had attached itself to the hook.

 


Over the next hour I amassed eleven of the them before something different turned up. A stone loach. It's a long long long time since I've caught one of these. I don't know how they get one maggot in their mouth never mind the three I had on the hook. They have tiny little mouths. Sadly my joy was soon tempered by the arrival of the bait stealing minnows.

Time for a cuppa. Just as I'd finished pour the water the rod tip went over. The butt lifted off the ground. The cuppa though remained intact. Grabbing the rod it was obvious a barbel had snuck in the swim and grabbed the triple maggots. It's first reaction was to head upstream slowly and relentlessly past me. some five yards up it came to a halt and wasn't too keen on turning round. I suspect it had it's head in a weed bed. Eventually it turned and slowly came back towards me. Another slow trundle upstream followed. It didn't make it to the weed bed this time.Keeping the rod high I persuaded it back towards me and up to the surface. As it came to the net I readied myself for that lunge they do when they see the net. It didn't happen and slid neatly into the net. (lb 9oz of rather anaemic looking barbel.

 After I'd finished my cuppa I put the rod back out and was soon into a dace. My expectations of more didn't materialise and the minnows returned. Nothing else but minnows were caught. The black clouds were now heading my way. Time to pack up. With great timing I'd got everything into the car when the deluge started. The barbel was a great surprise. This is the furthest downstream on this section I've caught a barbel by some miles.





4 comments:

  1. Beardtastic. I haven't caught a loch for decades either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easily last century when I last caught a loach. I'm no sure what the biggest surprise was. The loach or the barbel.

      Delete
  2. "Fortune favours the shave" - the best pun I could come up with. Well done.

    ReplyDelete