Monday 11 March 2019

Damp Squib

As I wandered diagonally across the meadow towards the river I wondered why, given you can roam anywhere in the area, everybody seemed to walk along the same foot wide strip of mud around the edge.

 



 











The river had been up and down since my last visit three days ago and although lower was carrying more colour. Not longer after settling the float above a piece of lamprey shot away at a rate of knots. A tiny little pike soon popped up to the surface, here it simply opened it's mouth and came adrift. I sat in the swim for another hour with out any action before moving, then moving again and again. The fifth swim produced a classic bit of bobbing about to a smelt on top of the shelf. that produced nothing. I waited a bit longer in this swim, changing the large smelt for a sprat. This produced a couple more bits of bobbing about that came to nothing. A couple more swims produced nothing.











I still no idea why I take time off to fish the last few days of the river season, it never lives up to my expectations. Still two more days to go. I don't think fishing Wednesday will be a good idea and it may well ruin Thursday. So tomorrows cunning plan had better work.

No comments:

Post a Comment