Tuesday 12 March 2019

The Cunning Plan

My cunning plan was not to cock up the alarm and sleep in. As I munched my way through Marmite and toast it was chucking it down, as I finished my cup of tea it eased and remained drizzle all the way to the river where it turned heavy again. I had a bit of a wander about to see where the slacks are. Another check of the River Gauge showed the level was still slowly dropping. As I got back to the car it eased off again, so I got my self set up in the first swim.

 








My cunning plan was to fish small chunks of lamprey  on a single hook in the hope of attracting a barbel or chub as well as pike. I'd made up some size fours to Drennan soft strand for this. The other rods were set up with a float ledger rig and a float rig that would be allowed to drift round the slacks. I'd loaded up a few sardine with PikePro Sardine Oil for the float ledger rig. Despite my better than normal preparation not a single bite was to be had in any of the four swims I fished.

 








I did intend to fish into dark, but the gusty and increasingly strong wind made it rather uncomfortable and when rods start getting blown from the rod rest I think it's time to give up. Will the rivers be fishable and will the wind have eased enough for the final day on T.Thursday. I'm definitely not trying on Wednesday. Rain I can cope with, but forty to fifty MPH winds I'll happily avoid.





No comments:

Post a Comment