Monday 25 March 2019

First Day of River Trout Season

First day of the river trout season here in Yorkshire and we're greeted with lovely sunshine and a rather chilly nor'easter. As expected, no matter which way the river is going the wind appears to be downstream. There's also a bit more water in the river than I'd like, but it's not bad, about six inches extra. At the first swim I flicked the fly out and wiggled a bit of line out, as I went to cast I thought I'd snagged until it moved. A small chub was the first fish to grab the bait. As I rummaged through my pockets I realised I'd left, not for the first time, my phone in the car. Thankfully it was a short wander to retrieve it.

 








I made my way up the length fishing a variety of heavy nymphs, mainly GRHE type things with either brass or tungsten beads depending on depth current.  The lack of fly life and rises wasn't really a uprise as things tend to start a bit later here. The only wildlife about seemed to be the crows and a king fisher, which shot past me several times. It was well into the afternoon when I got near the top of the length. A fish rose close to the bank, the first I'd seen. A quick chuck landed the nymph just upstream and the line tightened. I soon had my first trout of the season. A nice little fish of 9". 



Rather chuffed at catching a fish on opening day on this stretch. They often don't show up until later and even then can be few and far between. Hope fully I'll get one on dry fly later in the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment