Thursday 14 March 2019

Last Fish of the River Season

Despite the threat of 40MPH gusts I took my chance and headed to the river. It had dropped a bit overnight and continued to fall while I was there, as my line int he sand showed. As it was it turned out to be quite a nice day. The section I'd opted for was protected from the worst of the wind by the woods behind me. A natter latter with a chap that had tried to fish yesterday  confirmed my thought that that the wind direction had changed slightly. He said it was virtually unfishable, his chair had nearly blown in the river when he stood up, among other problems.

 








My tactics for the day were to fish halibut pellet on one rod and a dead bait on the other. Depending on the swim they were to be fished in the margin, under/near any feature and the halibut pellet in the centre of the river as well. I fished four swims in all with out any sign of action. It wasn't until five o'clock that the pike rod in the margin moved away and a feisty little jack was eventually wrestled out of the margin plants. I did fish into dark with a second barbel rod and a bit of cheese paste to no avail.

 








Well that's it until the 25th, on the rivers, when it's trout time. It was nice not to have blanked or get crushed by a falling tree. Apart from the pike the highlight of the day was watching the hounds taking part in a drag hunt and getting rather confused. The wind appeared to have blown the scent about a bit and had the dogs up and down either side of a fence and staring across the river. They were quickly gathered up and put back on the trail again.





No comments:

Post a Comment