Sunday 23 June 2024

Balsam Bashing And Trout

The intention was to spend an hour or so pulling the odds and sods of Balsam left on this stretch before having a bit of a fish. As it was there was more Balsam then I'd realised. Even when I thought I'd got most of it, having wandered up and down three or four times, I spotted a four foot tall plant in flower in among a stand of them. Quite how I'd missed this I don't know.


The Balsam bashing left me with about an hour for fishing. Slightly less after a cuppa. As I crossed the bridge to enter the water I spotted one of the escapee rainbows. A rather clumsy cast landed the Elk Hair Caddis just above it. It wasted no time grabbing the  fly. After bit of a hectic dash about it came adrift just beyond the net.


I worked my way up the narrow little beck bow-and-arrow casting the fly into likely looking spots until I got two thirds the way up the short length. A fish was ring ahead in a very tight spot. I couldn't get a cast to it with out the fly creating drag. Dropping back and going around on the bank I was able to get a cast downstream. Second attempt and the fish took. Things were rather hectic in the confined space but I got it in the net. A nice little WBT around the 9" mark. I think the Eeyores approved as they came over to have a look.



I continued to the top of the stretch but nowt else was seen. 


Time had run out. Especially as the traffic was building up and I had to be else where. So that was that, but i have more time tomorrow for a go elsewhere.





No comments:

Post a Comment