Monday 24 June 2024

Flicking Flies About In The Shade

Had another quick session with the fly rod. This time on a moorland beck. I thought the dappled shade provided by the trees would make my life and that of the fishes more pleasant. It seemed to. There was an obstacle, or two, to over come first though. The gates to the fishery now had five padlocks each. Thankfully I knew which was ours.


The beck was now down to the sort of level you'd expect for the time of year, but the water was still cool. I'd put on the usual to start with, the Elk Hair Sedge. The only fly life about was the usual black stuff. After a few speculative casts a fish rose midstream. A covered it a couple of times before took. A 9" WBT that didn't like the net. After three or four attempts it was in. Hopefully there would be many more of these.
As I made my way upstream looking for rising fish I made the odd speculative cast to no avail, but plenty of fish were seen rising. Strangely they were all around the 5" mark. I probably connected with less than half the rises but still ended up with nearly a dozen fish most of which I could just flick off the hook with out removing them from the water.


All in all a fun couple of hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment