Saturday 8 June 2024

Opening Up The Beck And A Spot Of Fishing

We'd spent the morning removing fallen trees from over the beck opening it up to fishing and wading. A couple of us decided on a spot of fishing but only had a short time available so we decided to fish the beat closest to the cars after a spot of lunch.

 


I followed the other chap as we made our way upstream. We'd seen the odd mayfly and olive fluttering about but not much was rising. I opted for a Elk Hair Caddis again. The basic tactic was to wade along the edge and cast the fly into the middle of the beck as this seemed to be where we'd had most luck in the past.  Having left the water due to a deep hole and re-entered. I flicked the fly out near the edge and started to pull some line from the reel when a trout took the fly. I had so much slack in the system that I didn't get a proper strike and the fish came adrift. Further up the was a nice riffle over a little weir. I cast the fly right to the weir and on the second cast the fly was snatched. A little 6" WBT was quickly in the net.

That was my lot for the session. The other chap had had nothing until we got to the top of the beat where he took three fish in quick succession. A little 'un and a couple around the 10" mark all on a small paradun.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think I'll have to have you as my editor providing the headlines.

      Delete
  2. Nearly time to change tactics...... Looking forward to a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'll be polishing up the float rods ready for next week.

      Delete