Sunday 30 June 2024

Dry Fly On A Lowland River

After errands I had a couple of hours on a lowland river with the fly rod. There are trout in it but they aren't the most free rising, but I thought the chub may provide some action. With this in mind I tied on a large sedge. As I arrived at the river there were quite a few fish rising, but many of them looked small. Very small in some cases. Probably dace and/or grayling. Second cast A small chub grabbed hold and was quickly landed. Two more were soon taken from the same area. All exactly the same.



The little stuff then started to attack the size twelve sedge. I had to admire their ambition but it became annoying after a while. Moving on I managed two more of the little chublets. In one of the larger pools  there was plenty of fish rising but non except the little 'uns wanted my sedge. A change to the old faithful size eighteen double badger produced plenty of takes but I just couldn't hit them. Eventually I managed to extract three small dace and a couple of little grayling. A couple more twisted off the hook. I must have hit about one in ten takes. Little dace and grayling really are hard to catch on fly at times.


I changed back to the large sedge and made my way back to the car. Having  cast here and there. I just ignored the little 'uns attacking the fly. Eventually a couple more chublets managed to get to the fly. Seven chub, three dace, and a couple of grayling for a couple of hours fishing. Equal parts enjoyable and frustrating.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent my first ever fly fishing was on the Llangollen canal catching Dave on little dry flies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent way to learn. A lot of my early fly fishing was for chub, dace, and bleak on a local river.

      Delete