Saturday 13 February 2016

Fish, and no pictures

Having finished work at one, I had a quick pot poodle before heading to a pond nearby.  After a bit of slip 'n' slide in the parking area I was soon chucking a jerk bait out. Although conditions looked OK, I wasn't that confident of success and given my recent performances that isn't really surprising.  After an hour of throwing, twitching and tapping I abandoned pond and moved to the nearby canal.
I'd originally planned to fish the canal, but as I left work thought I'd give the pond a go as I'd not been there for a good while.  
The first fish came after a couple of casts, a small jack. Taking my phone from my pocket, to photograph the fish, I got an ominous massage. It claimed low battery and was going to switch it's self off. Twenty minutes earlier there was over 90% charge, now only 3%, so no pictures as I'd forgotten the camera. This, of cause , meant I was going to catch the fish of a lifetime and have no means of recording it.
After another couple of little jacks came out of the next two swims I decided to go back to the car and swap outfits to something a lot lighter as little jacks of this size aren't much fun on a heavy jerk rod. Armed with my Quantum bait-caster and a small Salmo slider jerk bait, I continued where I'd left off. I soon had three more small 1 - 1½lb jacks. The extra foot or so of this rod also allowed me to fish along the edge of the dead reed beds a lot easier and it was here that I found a shoal of perch about 8-12oz, of which I took four before they disappeared.  This continued as I moved along the canal. Nearly every feature produced either a small jack or 2-4 perch to the same little jerk bait.

Eventually my hands stopped functioning properly as the cold began to effect them, I'd left my gloves in the car, and as it was starting to get dark I decided to finish for the day. I've never understood the oft repeated claim that lure fishing is a good way of keeping warm. I stay a lot warmer sitting under a brolly, watching floats and/or waiting for alarms to sound while drinking endless mugs of tea.

All in all, quite an enjoyable few hours fishing and nice to be catching again.

The problem with the phone may be solved by two or three discharge - charge cycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment