Friday 26 February 2016

Poor Day All-round

This week's Jack's Pike seems kinda relevant as I blank again.

I went to a venue I hadn't fished for years. Weir pools, locks, famous pike hot spot.  What could go wrong!


Arriving just after first light, to a deserted car park. I spent the first three hours throwing lures about. At the weir, in the eddies, around the locks, along the cut, nothing not even a follow. There weren't even any fish topping. I could blame the devastating impact of the Christmas floods or something, but I may well be just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Incidentally it was announced today (2016-02-26) that there were no flood warnings in place in England and Wales for the first time in 94 days. 







One problem I did have today, despite the fact it wasn't really that cold, was keeping my hands warm even though I was wearing neoprene gloves. Which is way I retired back to the car for a cuppa, with the intention of fishing dead baits in a large eddy near the weir. After a natter with the staff as they arrived for work. I noticed a couple more cars arrived with anglers heading towards the spot I intend to fish. As there was only space for three or four anglers in this area I opted for my second choice swim. A large eddy above the weir with another smaller eddy by some over hanging trees. With one bait by the trees and another in the middle of the eddy I settled back with another cuppa. Around midday the float under the tree moved off. Tightening down there was a slight tug of the rod tip then the float popped up. I quickly retrieved the mangled remains of the sprat and impaled another one on the large single hook dropping it back in the same place. This was the only action of the day, despite a couple of changes of location.


The anglers fishing in and around my first choice swim hadn't had a good day either, the only angler to catch had been taking very small chub near the lock. So perhaps my performance wasn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment